Once those first major decisions have been made, it is time to move on to cutting. On the first quilt, I did all the cutting. If you read this blog regularly, you may realize what a bad idea that was. I do not feel like I am good at cutting, and I do not enjoy cutting. (Just wondering, does anybody?) I think we made many more blocks for that quilt than we might have had to because of my poor cutting skills. (That particular quilt called for many 2 1/2″ strips which I could now do with my Accuquilt Go! cutter and be much more accurate!)
The second quilt was much more accurately cut by the person known as Supercutter Stephanie. (Why do I call her that? When she was cutting the fabric for the second quilt, she realized that one of her rulers was off by 1/32 of an inch. Whose eyes are that good? I am forever in awe of her.)
On the third quilt, the Log Cabin, Supercutter Stephanie and I split the cutting. Since most of it was 1 1/2″ strips, this would be another Accuquilt Go! cut quilt today. She and I also split the cutting of the fourth quilt and the current quilt.
Cutting goes faster when done by more than one person! I’m just saying! (It also goes much faster when done with a die cutter, but I think most of you could figure that part out.)
I haven’t known when to mention this, so it is going here. The pattern for this year’s block choice had some shapes that would have had to be cut with a template. I do not like cutting with templates. I like it even less than just cutting! Also, as I looked at the directions for piecing the block together, I realized that they were a bit complicated for beginning piecers. Fortunately, I realized after a few hours of staring at it (I am a little slow) that the pieces that needed templates could be done as half square triangles and still look the same from a distance. This was very good news, especially since I was able to purchase a die for the HSTs.
Above is the before HSTs block design. Below is the block made with HSTs. Yes, that is the actual block, fabric and all.