Been Quilting Up a Storm

I spent several days quilting the Jolly Bar Jazz quilt for Friday’s Blog hop. I did not feel good about some of (let’s be honest, most of) the quilting I did, but I only ripped out a very little bit of one spiral. I can’t show pictures of the finished product until Friday’s blog hop post for that.

My first thought had been that since the quilt blocks were so square, we needed some curved quilting. I thought about a huge walking foot (because my free motion really needs some work before it sees the light of day) spiral. Since there really wasn’t a great place to start in the middle, I decided to do individual spirals in the blocks. Do you know how many times I spun that quilt through the machine to make these way less than perfect spirals? AAARGH!

Here’s the beginning of one. If you look closely, you can see how bad this really is!

After the first spiral, I decided that just to be on the safe side in case I got really sick of these spirals, I should quilt alternating blocks with the spirals. Then, if after six, I was really sick of them, I could do something else in the other six blocks and it would look planned.

As it turns out, that was a very wise plan. I was sick of the spirals after two. I think I wouldn’t have gotten so sick of them if I had felt like they looked at all good. Of course, once they are washed, they look fine. Especially from a distance!

I decided to do straight lines in the alternate blocks. I think those actually took quite a bit longer than the spirals because there were so many starts and stops.

As you can see from the above picture, I also did the same  straight line idea in the sashing . In the borders I did three wavy lines. 

I didn’t want to quilt it too heavily because I wanted it to be soft and usable. Wool batting puffs up perfectly so I got my wish.

Come back Friday morning for the final reveal!

Quilt on!

One thought on “Been Quilting Up a Storm

I love comments! Please share yours!