Beginning the Antique Star Block

Yes, I did more work last night after posting the blog. I made quite a bit of progress on the block.

First, I cut the fabric. (Duh!) The speed of this was aided by the fact that I could use my Accuquilt Go! cutter for the 5 inch center block and the 2 inch squares for the half square triangles. You remember how much I love to cut and how inept I am at it, right? Getting to use my toy added to the speed and accuracy of my cutting for this block. Here are the pieces I cut:

After that, I marked the pieces, except for the dark triangles, since pencil doesn’t show up on those and I can use the lines on the lighter fabrics to guide my stitching. Then I stitched together the 8 medium half square triangles with 8 of the dark half square triangles to make little squares. (I’ll let you do the math to figure out what size square two half square triangles made from 2 inch squares makes!) Those felt like small pieces to stitch, but that means the seams were also short!!!! After stitching, I finger pressed them and trimmed them.
Not being quite ready to stop for the evening yet, I went on to the next step of adding the other dark triangles to the newly made squares. These I actually pressed so they would look better in the picture.
If you look closely, you can see that I prematurely trimmed some of the corners, but not so much as to be a catastrophe. They still fit with the next step, and I would have had to trim them after that step anyway, so it is all good.
So far, this block seems to be going smoothly. We’ll see how the next few steps go. Maybe I’ll even get to those steps today!
Have a great day and quilt with gusto!