Before I start today’s review, I want to mention something about my reviews. No one sends me books to review. I purchase each and every book that I review myself (or I have purchased them in the past). If it turns out that you buy a used copy of a book that I reviewed on Amazon.com and it happens to be my copy, I’m not making money on something that was given to me to review. I don’t know why I felt like I needed to say this, but I did. Now on to today’s review!
Today we are looking at The Loyal Union Sampler from Elm Creek Quilts: 121 Traditional Blocks Quilt Along with the Women of the Civil War by Jennifer Chiaverini. Like a previously reviewed book (Sylvia’s Bridal Sampler), this is a quilt inspired by one of Chiaverini’s novels. This time the novel is The Union Quilters: An Elm Creek Quilts Novel. (The second link here is, like the following link, an Amazon Associate link – usual disclaimer here. The first link is a link to my review of previously reviewed book.)
Like the previous book, this one is a sampler quilt, so it is patterns for 121 blocks that measure 6 inches, finished. The vast majority of these blocks are pieced blocks, but there are a couple (actually 3, I think) appliqué blocks. There are some truly awesome blocks in this book that I intend to use in a quilt sometime. Seriously.
The bulk of this book is the block patterns. There is a section discussing the novel and its relationship to this sampler, but that is about it for written material. The block patterns appear to be well written and easy to follow but I have not yet tried to make one. They appear in the book in alphabetical order by name.
I am not going to list the entire table of contents here because it lists each block by name, but here is the condensed version.
- A paragraph under the title of the table of contents that describes how to find each block in the quilt.
- The Union Quilters and the Loyal Union Sampler – tells about the novel and its relationship to this sampler.
- The block patterns listed individually.
- General Instructions – discusses sashing, borders, and quilt assembly.
- The Gallery – photos of various versions of this sampler
- Template and Foundation Patterns – the ones you need for these blocks are all here.
- About the Author – you know what this means!