Today we will move away from crazy quilts to medallion quilts. This week we are looking at The Modern Medallion Workbook: 11 Quilt Projects to Make, Mix & Match by Janice Zeller Ryan and Beth Vassalo. The two links below are Amazon Affiliate links for the paperback and then Kindle versions of the book.
I picked up this book because there are some special medallion quilts in my future (possibly) which I am designing, and I wanted some tips. While I won’t say there is a project in this book I would make, I will say there are elements of several projects I would be happy to use in my quilts. I will also admit that the medallion designs in my head are not exactly medallions surrounded by borders. Unless you count blocks as borders in some instances.
This is a beautifully produced book. The quality is excellent, which is good since it is a keeper for future reference. I love some of the borders and a few of the medallions from the projects. I love the specific medallion quilts tips and recommendations. If you are considering a medallion quilt either from a pattern or your own design, this book is for you!
Here are the sections of the book.
- Preface (how they came to write the book)
- Planning and Organizing Your Modern Medallion Quilt
- A Few Notes Before You Get Started
- The Projects (with helpful tips sprinkled through the directions)
- Make It Yours: Designing a Unique Modern Medallion Quilt (the section I was waiting for!)
- Special Techniques
- Line Drawings of the quilts
- About the Contributors
- About the Authors
Yes, I’m thinking this one is a keeper for me!