I originally borrowed The Quilter’s Appliqué Workshop: Timeless Techniques for Modern Designs by Kevin Kosbab from my local library. I figured I really didn’t need another appliqué book and the designs looked a bit modern for my usual taste. But I did want to read it, and it is not often that I find a quilting book at our library. So… Once I started looking at it closely, I realized I did need it and it now resides on my Kindle. Yeah. So much for avoiding overcollecting books. The links below are the links to the paperback version (first link) and the Kindle version through my Amazon Affiliate account.
This is a beautiful and well-organized book. One of the things I like best about it is the organization, so we are going to start right out by looking at the Table of Contents (which I may annotate a bit more than usual).
- Introduction: Give Appliqué a Chance (Here Kevin presents arguments for why everyone should at least try appliqué, all the different kinds of appliqué. He almost convinces me!)
- Appliqué Basics (This section includes “Choosing an Appliqué Method,” “Tools and Materials,” and “Basic Techniques.” If you’re unsure of how to appliqué after reading this section, don’t worry. Each method has its very own section also.)
- Raw-Edge Appliqué (Included in this section are: “Why Raw-Edge Appliqué?” “Tools and Supplies,” “Techniques,” and four projects.)
- Prepared-Edge Appliqué (This is prepared-edge appliqué for either hand or machine stitching. It includes: “Why Prepared-Edge Appliqué?”, “Tools and Supplies,” Techniques,”and four projects.)
- Needle-Turn Appliqué (This is apparently his favorite kind. At least, that’s what he says. Included in this section are: “Why Needle-Turn Appliqué?”, “Tools and Supplies,” “Techniques,” and four projects.)
- Resources (This even includes a “Books and Apps” list!)
- Index (I love a book with an index!)
Now, if you are already an appliqué expert, you probably won’t feel the need to check this book out, but I’m still trying to convince myself I need to try this so I’m glad to have it.