I guess I took the weekend off from posting. But I’m back with the first quilt finish of 2011!
I’m not sure the edges are as wonky as they look here. I wish I had taken close-ups of the quilting, because I think the longarmer did a beautiful job on it. I kind of made it hard on her by requesting that there be no quilting on the photos at all, but she did very well. The fabric with shells got quilted with shells. There are boats and canoes and flowers quilted in various frames. A star in each cornerstone. The word “Love” above and below the wedding picture and one of the family pictures.
This quilt kind of redesigned itself as we went along. I originally wanted to make the the photos sort of the center of log cabin blocks. When I played with that, I realized that the many fabrics involved detracted (or maybe it was more like distracted) from the photos, which were the main part of the quilt. Then I went to making it look like matted photos. When I had been thinking of the log cabin idea, sashing was not something I even considered. With the matting look, sashing insisted on being added and then it all insisted that there be no borders, because borders seemed to detract from the photos, once again. The final demand the quilt made was that I not use the beautiful bright rainbow striped fabric I was planning to use for the borders. Luckily, I had plenty of the blue star backing fabric for the binding.
And now it is finished. I hope to get it delivered this week. This quilt has been a long time in the making. It is a very different quilt than it would have been when it was originally planned. Maybe I’ll tell you that story sometime, but it is long and sad and probably unnecessary.