Recent Progress

With so many Twilters at QuiltCon last weekend, Nonnie of Nonnie’s Quilting Dreams instigated a #NoQC sew-in. I was excited to take part. Of course, I also watched all the Twilters Facebook posts, tweets and Instagram posts. I would have loved to be there, if only to meet so many Twilters in real life. Although some of the pictures I’ve seen of the quilts make me wish I’d seen them in person too.

Anyway, here are a few things I did over the weekend and Monday.

First, I finished cutting all the pieces for Surrounded by Scraps.

Then, I started working on Clue 2 for that quilt.

Here are some units ready to be put together.

And then the overhead light in my room burned out. Since the globe for it was heavily frosted, I did not want to put it back on. Plus the LED bulbs I had weren’t for use in an enclosed fixture, so I decided to leave it off. Not pretty. Another problem, the ceiling is pretty high. That problem was solved by the arrival of our son-in-law, who had no problem reaching the fixture halfway up the six-foot stepladder. So, even though when it’s turned off, it doesn’t look very pretty, when I turn on the light, I am quite happy with it! (Note: the reason I have not gotten a new fixture is that I need to wait for summer to see if I need a ceiling fan in there. It gets pretty hot on summer afternoons.)

Saturday I could get back to work.

Finally, I got clue 2 finished. Now I’m totally ready for the next clue.

Then it was time for more cutting. I cut out the two teal blocks for the Saturday Sampler I’m doing, Getting to Know Hue. It went pretty quickly, cutting both at once. I got into a great rhythm. Maybe too great because I ended up cutting a 3 3/8″ square (2 actually) in half when I wasn’t supposed to. And, of course, being a BOM, there wasn’t enough fabric to recut. Luckily, I can still get some from the shop, but it’s not here yet.

So Sunday I cut out the tenth block of the 2014 Designer Mystery BOM. Then I hand sewed some binding during the Oscars.

Monday, I put the block together. I’m very happy with how my fussy cut square turned out.

This is how much thread was left on the bobbin when I finished the block. (To be totally honest, my machine tells me when the bobbin is almost empty so I was watching very carefully.)

And here is the finished block. This is a very pretty one.

Come back tomorrow to see the pictures of the quilt I finished Monday evening.

Quilt on!

2 thoughts on “Recent Progress

Comments are closed.