Yes, I have been gone a long time. The biggest chunk of it was a vacation to DisneyWorld with our daughters and son-in-law, but I’ll tell you more about that in tomorrow’s post. For today, it is all quilting all the time!
Remember all the bowl cozies I wrote about making for the auction? Well, I made a couple more. I didn’t take pictures of them though. They were matching, mostly red. One thing I have realized is that the pattern I am using is actually a bit small for my own bowls. Good thing I haven’t made myself one yet! Soon now!
I didn’t take any handwork on my vacation because I’m the main driver and most of my time was already planned. If I’d taken any, I would never have gotten it out, so that was a good call. I did finish Block 10 of the 2012 Designer Mystery BOM prior to leaving. Here it is finger pressed only immediately after I completed.
Then, yesterday, I got to participate in #BDSI (Boxing Day Sew-in for the uninitiated). I went downstairs planning to put borders on Scrap in a Box and maybe cut fabric for some other BOM blocks. I got sidetracked by another project which allowed me to play with some of the fancy stitches on my new machine.
A couple of years ago, the mother of a friend moved out of her home and to assisted living. As she was downsizing, she sorted out some of her unfinished projects and fabrics and donated them to our church for future auctions. At the top was a quilt top that she had layered and basted (well, she did the fusible batting) and trimmed. She had even already sewn a very narrow hanging sleeve on the back. The top looks like a crazy quilt so I decided to play with the decorative stitches in quilting it. I think she had had it for quite a while, and I’m not sure that all of the fabrics are 100% cotton. I think the backing might have come from a sheet because she included other pieces of it in the bag.
This is the first section I worked on. The first block I did has some of the less elaborate stitches in it.
And here it is from the back. You can see the hanging sleeve there at the top.
Here is the second block I did. I started experimenting with some of the more intense stitches on this one.
And here it is from the back. The lighting makes it look like a different color, but it’s the same backing. Really.
This is a closeup of the stitch on the left which I absolutely love!
Here is a section of the third block I did. I’m not sure I don’t think this stitch should be moved a little to the left, but it is where it is for now.
Here is what may be my very favorite stitch, which I’m calling Bead Curtain because that is what it looks like to me.
And here it is from the back.
I have ordered some other colors of thread to use in some of the other blocks. There are thirty-six blocks in this quilt. I haven’t measured, but I’d guess they are 6″ finished blocks. Not a large quilt. I’m not exactly feeling the colors, but it is certainly a relaxing look.
Once my shoulders started getting tired, I moved on to working on putting a border on Scrap in a Box. I just got two side borders on. I ran out of bobbin thread about 1 1/2 inches from the end of the first side. For some reason my machine didn’t even warn me. Sigh.
And those are my recent quilty adventures. I’m hoping to fit more quilting in tomorrow between loads of laundry.