«

»

May 13

Surrounded by Happy Scraps Is a Finish!

I have my first finish for the second quarter in the 2017 Finish-Along! This is also the third finish for the year, and all finishes have been quilts that are couch sized or more! Whee!

Here is Surrounded by Happy Scraps as held up by my husband and son-in-law.

Just to recap so I can use this post later as the official post for the 2017 Finish-Along, I started this quilt earlier this year as part of a mystery quilt by Charlotte of Charlotte Hawkes Quilts: Making Scrappy Quilts with ATTITUDE. Her name for this one is Surrounded by Scraps. I chose all bright cheerful colors (or almost all) so I renamed mine Surrounded by Happy Scraps.

I love Charlotte’s scrappy designs. I missed her first scrappy mystery and last year’s scrappy mystery, but I did complete the 2015 mystery, Scraps in a Box. I finished it for the fourth quarter of the 2016 Finish-Along and blogged about it here. One of the things that I hadn’t liked about about working on that one was that until I got to the sashing stage, the quilt felt very dark and I didn’t enjoy working on it as much as I would have expected to. So this time I told myself I would go brighter. I also told myself that I would only use scraps or stuff I already had in the house, even for the background. So I loved working with this one all along the way.

First we put together some four-patch and nine-patch blocks.

Then we made these units:which were attached to become the units on the far right in this box.

Then we made these:

And made different units with the four and nine patches:And then on to these!Finally putting some blocks together – they are very large!

To see it all once assembled, I had to lay it out on a bed!

Charlotte’s layout called for a five inch border, but I really like this just as it is, so I skipped the border. This means it’s a little too small to be a good queen-sized quilt.

I sent it to Crystal to quilt on her longarm, giving her the choice of how to quilt it. This is what she chose:

When it came back, I opened it up to look at it and admire the quilting, and that is when the trouble started. Loki fell in love with the quilt.

Every time I looked, he was there.

I didn’t dare move the quilt.

Let me add that his mom is currently out of town, so we were happy to see him really enjoying something.Finally, yesterday when Loki and Grandpa were out for a walk, I managed to get the binding on the quilt. I figured that I needed to do it as quickly as possible, so I would do it all by machine. This is something new for me. I have not been very successful with machine binding in the past and since I like hand work, it didn’t bother me much but I really wanted to get this done, so I sewed the binding onto the back and then attached it to the front with a decorative stitch.

Here’s a corner: Here’s my worst corner.You can see that my stitches were not always uniform, but now that it’s washed, that’s a little less noticeable.

Of course, I made the mistake of putting the quilt on the floor while I waited for the load in the washing machine to get finished.

I’m not sure what it is about this particular quilt that has him so fascinated, but he does look quite comfortable on it!

Quilt on!

I love comments! Please share yours!

%d bloggers like this: