A Finished Top!

Surrounded by Scraps (or in my case, Surrounded by Happy Scraps) is now a finished top and is off to the longarm quilter! Yay.

Last week I started assembling the rows. Here are the first two:

Today, I finally completed the top. I realized once I got the center together that I really liked mine without the borders. The original pattern has 5″ borders of the background fabric. That would make it plenty big for a queen, but I just wasn’t feeling it. (I will be honest; it didn’t help that with the borders it might be too long for my backing fabric. And I’m lazy.)

Here’s how far over the sides of my queen-sized bed it goes without the borders:

But, I do like it an awful lot without the borders so I decided to call it done.

Then I found this while I was pressing it. (I tried so hard to avoid two of the same fabric being next to each other!)

I delivered it to the quilt shop this evening so maybe by next Tuesday or Wednesday it will be back and I can bind it and call it done!

What have you been working on?

Quilt on!

Scrap in a Box Finished!

Scrap in a Box started out as one of Charlotte Hawkes’s awesome scrappy mysteries about 2 years ago. Here are some pictures of the steps along the way!

First units untrimmed. A later step all trimmed up!

Some triangular units.Rectangular units.Some units all put together.   Look, blocks!Yep, it’s on point.   Next I had to choose sashing. This took awhile.Another sashing option.I did kind of like the black.This idea didn’t last very long.Red wasn’t too bad.

But eventually I went with the color I love most.Next up is this a possible border?Began putting the quilt together with sashing.Here’s the finished top! Note that I decided on a black border.Then it sat for a while waiting for me to get my sewing room together. And then it had to wait some more for me to get it cleaned up and find a place to baste it. A few weeks ago, I started that process.

As I quilted, I was not pleased with how sloppy my piecing had been. (I am not at all fond of the fabric in the lower left corner. As a matter of fact, I think it is the ugliest fabric I have ever seen in my life. It and the brown fabric – not a fan of brown generally – may be part of why it took me so long to finish this and why I didn’t feel like I liked it very much.)

I did a lot of ditch stitching and was thrilled to get to the border. (Yes, I did every single seam.)

Here’s more of a close-up.

Here’s a view of part of the quilted back.

Here it is all finished and washed.

And here is the back. Because it was a scrappy quilt, I decided to use the Quilters Dream Green batting that I had. I had never used it before and couldn’t even imagine how it could be soft like polyester or cotton. It is. I still don’t know how it works, but I’m happy with the choice for this quilt.

And now that the quilt is finished, I like it better than I did while I was working on it, which is normal for me.

This will also be this quilt’s official post for the Q4 Finish Along. My original post was here. I had listed five items. This was the only one that got finished. Sigh. I got awfully close with the 2012 FQS Designer Mystery BOM but not quite done. I’ll have to be more careful about making realistic goals in 2017.

Rhonda's [Quilt] Ramblings

Quilt on!

Save

Save

Save

Save