«

»

Apr 15

Wedding Dress Deconstruction Details

I got married in 1977. My wedding gown was made mostly of a new fabric, Qiana, as far as I could tell with some lace and netting and other fabrics. I knew it was the gown for me because I took one look at my mom and she was crying. Don’t we look young?

At the reception, someone spilled coffee on my skirt so cleaning would have been a very good idea, but it never seemed like the right time to spend $100+ for that so it was never cleaned. So it hung in various closets for many years.

Fast forward to 2013 when our youngest daughter was getting married. She had seen something on Pinterest about using lace from your mother’s wedding gown in your bouquet and wanted some lace. I took some from the sleeve so it could be wrapped around the stems and she could hold it. It is the big piece on the right.

IMG_1298

After that, I decided I’d just take all the lace off of my dress and throw out the rest of the dress. (Notice that the Qiana did not yellow like the lace and netting did!) No one was going to ever wear this dress again, so downsizing and keeping the lace made a lot of sense to me.

It was just more difficult than I had imagined. Those pieces of lace were sewn in quite tightly! My hands would get very tired working on it, so there were a lot of breaks in the deconstruction. However, I made it a goal for this year to finish the deconstruction and I finally did!

Here are the lovely pieces of lace now have:

IMG_2623

IMG_2624

I don’t know what I will do with them, but they are much easier to store than that big old dress. Now to figure out what to do with the veil!

Quilt on!

%d bloggers like this: