Scrap in a Box Finished!

Scrap in a Box started out as one of Charlotte Hawkes’s awesome scrappy mysteries about 2 years ago. Here are some pictures of the steps along the way!

First units untrimmed. A later step all trimmed up!

Some triangular units.Rectangular units.Some units all put together.   Look, blocks!Yep, it’s on point.   Next I had to choose sashing. This took awhile.Another sashing option.I did kind of like the black.This idea didn’t last very long.Red wasn’t too bad.

But eventually I went with the color I love most.Next up is this a possible border?Began putting the quilt together with sashing.Here’s the finished top! Note that I decided on a black border.Then it sat for a while waiting for me to get my sewing room together. And then it had to wait some more for me to get it cleaned up and find a place to baste it. A few weeks ago, I started that process.

As I quilted, I was not pleased with how sloppy my piecing had been. (I am not at all fond of the fabric in the lower left corner. As a matter of fact, I think it is the ugliest fabric I have ever seen in my life. It and the brown fabric – not a fan of brown generally – may be part of why it took me so long to finish this and why I didn’t feel like I liked it very much.)

I did a lot of ditch stitching and was thrilled to get to the border. (Yes, I did every single seam.)

Here’s more of a close-up.

Here’s a view of part of the quilted back.

Here it is all finished and washed.

And here is the back. Because it was a scrappy quilt, I decided to use the Quilters Dream Green batting that I had. I had never used it before and couldn’t even imagine how it could be soft like polyester or cotton. It is. I still don’t know how it works, but I’m happy with the choice for this quilt.

And now that the quilt is finished, I like it better than I did while I was working on it, which is normal for me.

This will also be this quilt’s official post for the Q4 Finish Along. My original post was here. I had listed five items. This was the only one that got finished. Sigh. I got awfully close with the 2012 FQS Designer Mystery BOM but not quite done. I’ll have to be more careful about making realistic goals in 2017.

Rhonda's [Quilt] Ramblings

Quilt on!

Save

Save

Save

Save

5 thoughts on “Scrap in a Box Finished!

  1. Phew! that is a lot of piecework but well worth the stunning effect. Love the Scrap in a Box title. The overall effect of the quilt reminds me of looking through a kaleidoscope.

    • Scrap in a Box was the official mystery BOM name. I thought it was very appropriate and kept the name. This year’s will be Surrounded by Scraps. The cutting looks a little less intense.

  2. Pingback: 2016 Q4 FAL Winner’s Announced

Comments are closed.